Sunday, July 31, 2011

Ellicus

So my husband and I moved to Madison WI after a brief 9 month stint teaching English in France.  The thing that really excited me about WI was not the cheese, nor the Packers, (sorry WI friends) but the fact that I was finally going to be able to get a cat.  I spent nine catless months in France, and I couldn't even get the satisfaction of finding random cats while taking long walks because most people selfishly kept their cats indoors.  The few cats I did see outside were feral and I couldn't get near them.  To make matters worse I'd spent the year before I moved to France living with my parents (catless again..really the only bad thing about living with them) in order to save $$$ for France.  Actually, the time I got kicked out after being witchy for two months straight sucked too!  No worries, that's in the past...I'm more mature now:)  Sorry...tangent!  All told, I'd spent two sad catless years!

Needless to say I was ready for my cat. My husband...who was just my bf at the time was terrible too.  He made me wait...and wait....and wait....until I thought I wouldn't be able to stand it anymore.  It was 3 weeks of torture...I know it truly wasn't that long....but in my defense it felt long!   Really, what kind of bf says that I should wait "until we're settled in." 

I began my search on Craigslist...I'm a fan of free stuff and helping people find loving homes for their pets. It was there I discovered a lovely somewhat large orange male tabby cat. I say he is only fairly large because at 14 pounds he is a slightly overweight cat.  When comparing him to the 28 pound Luv it is like comparing that young lady who starred in Push(Gabby S...) with Kirstie Alley pre-Dancing with the Stars...Kirstie was still big. Anyhooo, so he's kind of large.  His name was Reggie, but I'd invested far too much time planning out kitty names, so I decided that it had to go.

I intended to name him Mr Meowgi (pls don't steal that name for your cat..I came up with it first), however he was not the original intendee for the name and bf/hubby and I couldn't give him the name that was meant for another cat.  I spent hours poring over the internet, hoping to find the perfect name, much like most sane people do with baby names.  I found awesome Roman and Greek names and almost went with kittysaurus, but after a long facebook session with my friend Elly from England, the orange cat once called Reggie was renamed Ellicus.

ELLICUS - This is one of those names you should never subject any child to.  I am often asked to repeat and explain his name and vets struggle to pronounce it.  It's not that hard really, but cuz no one has heard of it they get a bit confused at times!

Ellicus is the love of my life...after my hubby of course, but he is the quirkiest, cutest, loudest, and most dysfunctional cat I've ever met!  However, that is a topic for another day........

1 comment: