Thursday, July 21, 2011

MENTAL MASTURBATION - not as weird as it sounds!!

SO this post took way too long to compose but I feel like it is there for informational purposes and I'm sick of working on this one so I'm posting it and moving on....SO THERE

When I found out I was most likely moving from Wisconsin, I began a broad job search.  It was hard to do anything specific as the husband was just beginning his job search.  He was searching for a position in a consulting firm.  This provided me with some minor clues such as...

1.  I'd most likely be moving to a big city.
2.  It would cost lots of money.
3.  We could end up in a number of different states and the whole 'prepare ahead of time' idea was prolly not going to work out the way I planned.

Here's the main problem...MENTAL MASTURBATION...it is a skill that the husband and I are very talented at.  Make sure you notice that the word masturbation is preceded by the word mental so that you are not thinking anything gross...

We both like to spend a lot of time thinking about the future but I think I'm worse.  Unfortunately that causes me to waste a lot of time in my head planning the outcomes of all the events I see happening in my life, even if they don't happen.

Examples...
1.  I spent the 3 months before moving to France planning all the things I'd do there
2.  Once arriving in France I spent time planning all the vacations I was going to take (did most tho)
3.  Spent last three months in France talking about what we'd do when we got back to the US and deciding where to move to
4.  Spent 1st year in Madison planning our wedding and the second full year planning our honeymoon

Okay, I think I've illustrated that I have a hard time enjoying the moment I'm in.  I can't even begin to calculate how much time I've lost, and I'm not even going to try as then I'd just be wasting more time! The good news is that I'm AWARE of my issue.

So the original point I was going to make in this post was that I needed to find a job. I obviously digressed a little bit! I knew that I'd drive myself crazy if I didn't lay off the MM.  My head was telling me to find a job, housing, a book club, and a good sushi restaurant all before even knowing where we were moving!

I found myself wanting to conduct an apartment search in DC, Philadelphia, Memphis, New York, and San Francisco on a daily basis and had to fight the urge! I would occasionally make deals with myself that I could spend 20 minutes looking...but no longer.  I finally realized that the apartment search was futile and began looking into career opportunities.

I needed to focus on my next career move.  I'd been a teacher for 10 years and that was tightly tied in with my identity.  I knew that it would be difficult to get a teaching job in the middle of a school year so I began looking outside the box for other jobs that I'd like.  I wasted a lot of time on USA jobs looking for government positions because I wanted an "important job" with a cool title.  Finally,  after wasting oodles of time, I realized that my priorities were completely warped and that what I really  needed to find was a job that I'd love, which definitely didn't involve sitting behind a desk each day.  That ended my search with USA Jobs.

I had unrealistic dreams of being hired by one of the museums in DC to design and implement programs and exhibits or of finding a job at the Library of Congress. Naturally I didn't apply for these positions because I had no training for them.  Even if I put "perseverance" down on my resume as my greatest skill, I'm still not going to get offered a job I have no experience doing, no matter how hard I say I will work.

After much thought and searching I found a training course to be a Washington DC tour guide. I was instantly excited about this new possibility and immediately called for an interview.  Hence my new name Mrs Tour Guide Lady!

No comments:

Post a Comment