Friday, July 8, 2011

TO BE OR NOT TO BE...

One of the difficulties of moving to a new area is finding a new job.  The big decision when relocating was what will I do for the next 6 months and in the future.  Most likely I wouldn't find a half year teaching position so I needed to get creative.  I also needed to decide where to apply for the 2011-2012 school year.

I've taught history for ten years, and I loved it (although there were some moments).  All of my jobs have been at rural schools and I've loved the freedoms I've had as a teacher in that environment.  Where else can you re-enact trench warfare in your classroom, stab kids with jello filled buboes on their necks, and conduct a Chinese new year parade throughout the hallway?  I've been spoiled and I worry about having to conform to suburban school standards.  Although I'm not sure what 'suburban school standards' are, I have a feeling that they aren't as fun:(  I realize that I'm limiting my options as a teacher by cutting out suburban schools, so I'm willing to investigate.  Boy would I love a nice rural school district.  But that's the problem, there are no rural school districts within a one hour radius of where I live.  It's a total bummer.  That leaves me with 3 options that I can see.

Option 1: a private school.  Sounds like a great idea and it is probably full of uber motivated students, but I'm not the only person in the DC metro area who thinks that a private school is the way to go.  Lots of competition and I don't even know how to apply to most of these schools.  Many are Montessori and want special training and I don't even know what it is. Private schools involve a lot of work that I'm willing to consider in the future, but I'm still investigating my options.

Option 2:  Teach in the District of Columbia.  Ehhh, wrong answer, not happening.  I spent my first year out of college subbing in an inner city school district in Rochester, NY.  BTW, my role there was as the in-school suspension lady. It was a nightmare, they held it in the cafeteria and I often had 30 students.  Yeah, the 30 students who were kicked out of class for being uncontrollable were all sent to me in a large wide open space and I was supposed to control them.  Fortunately, I was young and mildly cool at the time.  My redemption was the fact that I liked hip hop and if the students would sing lyrics I could name the song and artist.  That definitely saved my butt b/c it moved me up a few levels on the cool meter. We spent most of our time in a group circle talking about three things
A.  schoolwork
B.  life at home
C.  future goals and dreams
Now I know students aren't supposed to talk during in-school suspension, but you try keeping them quiet in a room full of 30 people.  So, if students were willing to participate in a group conversation that I directed, then they could talk.

However, I couldn't work in that environment again.  There was very little support for teachers and students, most of the students didn't want to be there, I was called the little cracker with the walkie talkie (I was 21), and it was so emotionally draining when listening to the students share about the situations they faced outside of school and in their homes. Oh, and I failed to mention one student whose name was ______ Love who told me he wished I was dead and should be careful.  I guess he said that to all adults, so I didn't particularly p*ss him off more than any other adult in the school.  Lastly, I've gotten to old.  I just don't think that I can channel my inner Michelle Pfeiffer a la Dangerous Minds. I lack the ex-marine status and don't know karate.

Option 3:  Teach at a local community college.  Already put some effort in here.  I applied for two history positions.  However, I have no experience teaching college and really don't want to.  They also will take a candidate with a PhD over a candidate with solely a Masters..go figure.  I recently received an email (I applied in January) stating that the positions have been filled.  I stopped holding my breath in March, but I'm really glad they thought to send out rejection emails in June as if I hadn't already drawn a similar conclusion.

I'm glad that I have a few options, although none really appeal to me right now.  Fortunately, I've found a job (seasonal) that I love and I'm pretty good at it.  And even though my students can call me by my first name I am most commonly addressed Miss Tour Guide lady.But that is a story for another posting.

TO BE OR NOT TO BE....a teacher.   My identity was intertwined with teaching for so many years.  Only time will tell.  The husband and I are going to start a family soon so maybe my next full time job title will be Mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment